- Have you considered your evacuation route? This may seem a little silly but it does matter depending on the trajectory of the storm coming our way. If the storm just skirts the coast then you should be able to go anywhere inland but what about if it comes direct for Charleston on a east/west course? Think about your options
- Supplies? Do you have supplies at home that you can use if you stay or take with you if you evacuate. Remember the last time you waited too long and went to buy these items at the last minute? The store can be chaotic and the shelves may be empty.
- Gas? Ever since 911, I've made it a principal to keep my car filled. If the tank goes to 3/4 full, then I'll top it off. I don't expect the worst but want the car gassed if I have to leave on a dime.
- Inventory of what you own? With cell phone cameras, this couldn't be easier. Just take pictures or a video of what you own. How are you going to convince an underwriter that you had a sofa if it blows away in a tornado?
- Last step: Call Triest and let us review all of your insurance policies. Don't call us when there is a storm on our doorsteps. That's too late. Call us now and let us review with you what you have an what you can do to improve your coverage. Many clients have policies with multiple insurance agencies. Consolidate those with Triest. Having them all over the place could set you up for coverage gaps.